Sunday, October 21, 2012

Test anxiety? Try this!

As we all know, the beginning of the school year in Wisconsin for many means MAP (Measure of Academic Progress) tests, and the WKCE (Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Exam).  The pressure is put on not only teachers, but on students as well.  Expectations in the state of Wisconsin recently increase as well.
 
So, in order to prepare my students, I put together a handful of activities and lessons that expose students to topics and skills necessary for a good performance on the WKCE.  This past week, we had our last few sessions together before the beginning of the big test tomorrow.  I gave them a practice exam of a WKCE that was given a few years ago.  YIKES.  The kids were so anxious and stressed!  Our prep lessons went so well that I thought they were prepared.   Little did I know that I had forgotten one important aspect of test preparations - test taking strategies!
 
Well, here is my solution.  I did a little research and put together a list of eight strategies that are helpful for students getting ready to take a test.  It doesn't have to be a state standardized test such as the WKCE - it could even be a classroom exam!  I think that I sometimes forget that these are just kids and not adults! 
 
The image here is just a thumbnail of the worksheet I uploaded into my store: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ms-Rothering.  Click on the link, and you can buy the note sheets yourself!  There are two documents - one with the notes already given, and another with space for students to write the notes themselves. 
 
Good luck to those of you gearing up for your standardized tests this month.  Crossing my fingers that my preparations will prove to be helpful for my kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment